Wednesday, February 1, 2012

#398: Durians


Durians have always been a special fruit to me, not that it was my favourite fruit or anything, but because of what it meant to the immediate family that I grew up with. When I was little I lived with my mother's grandparents, my great aunt, and my mother... I remember that my grandfather was the one who got everyone eating durians. Both my grandmother and my mother didn't like the smell of it; I ate it because I wasn't particularly bothered by it, but more importantly I wanted to bond with my grandfather. Eventually everyone else decided to give it a chance and both my grandmother and my mom ended up falling in love with it. So durians became something that our family agreed on, something that stopped my mother and my grandpa from killing each other and brought us together. Now that my grandfather, my grandmother, and my great aunt have passed away, durians are one of the only relics of family I can truly identify and feel nostalgic with.

No comments:

Post a Comment