Sunday, June 8, 2014

#854: The Fault in Our Stars (Film)


Cynthia and I randomly decided to go watch this film today, and what we had expected to just be another young adult tear-jerker turned out to be quite a cleansing experience. To be honest, I was hesitant about going to see this movie... I didn't think I was in the right state of mind to handle it, but I was surprised. I was particularly moved by this quote: 

“There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.” 


I know it's a bit cheesy, but it really gave me a lot of clarity on a couple of different aspects in my life. As someone who feels like I'm constantly going back and writing about the same thing it really puts my thinking in a different perspective--there is this "infinity" within the duration of an ended relationship, whether it's love, friendship, or actual death of a person... and I feel justified being able to find new nuances within my memories, and being really able to retain the happiness of a memory without feeling like it has been "tainted" by an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment