Why is my job awesome? There are many reasons, but here are the main ones...
My
co-workers are tremendous. Everyone of them are caring, dedicated, and
beautiful individuals. Not only are they devoted to their roles as
teachers, they are also incredible kind to each other, and of course, to
me as well. I have definitely mentioned quite a few of them on here
already, but they are all very special in my heart in their own ways.
There
really is no greater gift than being able to work with children. I was
blessed with a group of unique personalities, and although there were
definitely difficult moments, the journey was worth every minute. I am
so grateful of how much they've all grown, how kind and gentle they've
learned to be, and also how much they've taught me as a teacher as well.
Our
philosophy is enormous. I sometimes joke about our school being a bit
hippie, but our school does have an important mission of mindfulness
that I think all school models and grade levels can benefit from. We
received this book as a gift from our director, and as I was reading it
on the train a random stranger sitting next to me started asking me
about it. It turned out that she is a seasoned special education
teacher, and she wished that the public school system would take on this
philosophy of community and mindfulness because kids really need it!
That conversation with her really solidified my faith in the path I had
chosen to take with my job this past year, and it really made me
realized that it does not matter whether other people may perceive what I
am doing as not being a "real teacher"... I know that I have been doing
great things and sending children off with a wonderful message in their
hearts. Perhaps the path doesn't have the best extrinsic rewards, but I
can sincerely say that I am happy to go into work every day, every
week, and every month, because I believe in the meaning.
In
conclusion, I am full of thankfulness as our school year comes to a
close. Whenever we end our day at school we always do a bell circle
where all the children make a well-meaning wish upon a singing bowl, and
then we seal in our wish with a namaste. This message of, "The
light in me sees the light in you" is such a powerful one, and it's
really helped me get through a lot of my battles. I am truly grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment